Saturday 5 December 2015

The Role of Peer and Tutor Feedback

In this module of effective communication for the past 12 weeks, I have learnt how to give feedback to my peers. In order to give constructive feedback to my peers, I had to read through their blog post first. Furthermore, I need to ensure that the feedback I gave were correct if I were to correct their grammars or sentence structures. Thus, I felt that giving feedback to my peers also indirectly allows me to do a check on my own English too.

Not only did I gave feedback, I had also received feedback too. Feedback received on my writing skills were from my blog posts such as reflection on English learning journey, summary and reader response. These feedback received not only encouraged me to do better, it also helped to highlight my mistakes that I failed to notice. I felt that receiving feedback from peers and teacher was beneficial as it is hard for individual to notice their own mistakes sometimes. Thus, with more people evaluating my essays and giving feedback, it has helped me to improve my essays and writing skills. One example of the feedback received that benefited me was on the proper use of APA referencing style for my reader response. It helped me in my report submission for my future report submissions for this module as well as for the other modules. This feedback helped me to learn the correct way of referencing for my current and future report.

In addition, I also received feedback on my presentation. Some of the feedback were that I should engaged audience more by having eye contacts with audience in the whole room instead of only at the right side of the room. Furthermore, my voice projection can be improved too. These feedback received were constructive and encouraging at the same time. It allows me to learn from mistakes and apply what I have learnt to other module’s presentation too.


I felt that giving and receiving feedback allowed to improve my quality of work and it helped me to realise and learn from the mistakes made. 

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Yi Fang!

    I agree with you that giving and receiving feedback has improved the quality of our work. The more feedback i received, the more opportunities for me to realize my areas of weakness and improve on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Yi Fang!

    I agree that by giving feedback to others, we will improve and look back at our own English. Those feedback I received also motivates me to do better next time and I am glad that we had master the APA style of referencing as we need it for writing reports in most of our modules. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Yi Fang,

    In my polytechnic days, report writing format was something that I could never get in right. I agree that this module have helped to improve our report writing skill. I am glad it was beneficial to all of us :) Let's use the things we learnt and apply to future modules!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this detailed reflection, Yi Fang. You describe what we have done in great detail, and you also explain your reaction to that process. I am really glad that you found the feedback sessions in the module useful, of course.

    I wonder as you move forward into your study program how, if at all, you will be able to give and get receive from peers. Can you imagine any way to make that happen, or does it already happen?

    In any case, I really appreciate your effort throughout the term. Best wishes as you continue your life’s learning journey!

    ReplyDelete